Sunday, October 12, 2014

All falls down

Humans are scared of the unknown. It's why we judge, and stereotype, and plan. Planning is easy enough, but carrying out a plan is a little more difficult. It's impossible to account for all the little variables that might mess up a plan, and the volatile nature of the variables is the reason for 100% of plans not going 100% of the way they are planned out.

Everything we do is planned. I plan to go downstairs to the kitchen to get a snack, but I am stupid- a variable that I didn't account for because I am stupid- so I forget why I went downstairs and return empty handed. If I had perfectly executed that plan, I would've swiftly gotten to the kitchen, gotten my snack of choice, and returned to my bedroom with minimum energy expenditure. Instead, I returned empty handed. Even if I had remembered to get a snack there would've been other variables to ruin my plan. I could have fell down the stairs, or maybe there wouldn't be any pudding left. I might have taken one step too many, and wasted precious calories.

In The Scarlet Letter, Hester and Dimmesdale's plans to flee to Europe are ruined when Chillingsworth joins as the boat's doctor. The ruining of their plan causes "Hester's strong, calm, steadfastly enduring spirit almost sank,"(Hawthorne 241). For Dimmesdale, it makes him feel like there's no other way out, so he publicly confesses to his sins, and swiftly proceeds to drop dead.

The bigger a plan is, the more variables there are, and the bigger the consequence is when it gets messed up. You could trip on your way to school and dirty your sweater, or you might crash and die on a plane ride to Disney Land. Either way, it's pretty messed up.

6 comments:

  1. You're right! Humans like control, but there is always something random in life. Even the best laid plans of mice and men go awry. (Also whats up with that car in the tree?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murphy's law!

    Good post, as humans, in an increasingly time-specific age, we rely on plans and schedules more than ever. Breakdowns are even something we try to plan for, as paradoxical as that seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE CAR IN THE TREE!
    I can totally relate about forgetting something that I wanted to get. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Peter, I can completely relate to your example with the snack, because that happens to me all the time. Also, I feel like it's kind of hard to mess up so much that you get your car in a tree, but your picture does make this post much funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of a lot of stories and tragedies in which the characters have a seemingly sound plan but its just ONE small detail that screws everything up. Those are some of my favorite stories because the reaction of the reader truly shows how well the author has made the characters likable and thus commands the sympathy of the reader as a result of the sad ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol Nice picture. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the plans I have made in my life have never worked and something random always happens but that's what makes life interesting. If Dimmesdale and Hester simply escaped to Europe, then the story wouldn't have been very interesting.

    ReplyDelete